Friday, October 25, 2013

Daddy's Girl


October has always been my favorite time of year. Fall colors, crisp air, and baseball.  Though, now the joys of October baseball  are plagued with a sense of sadness. I miss my Dad.  It has been 13 seasons since his passing. This would be an exciting year for him. His beloved Red Sox in the series, and the Dodgers' respectable finish.  In the last couple of weeks, I found myself instinctively  reaching for the phone. I had to call Dad and talk about the game, the plays, the "Yahoo" moments, and the disappointments. Then the emptiness sets in. He won't answer. I won't here "Hi, Honey... great game", ever again.

Dad was my baseball hero. Though his professional career ended in the minors, he did have some great moments. He pitched.  'Had a consistent strike out record against Joe Di Magio, among other greats. He threw and batted from both sides. He taught me how to throw, and hit, but mostly how to be part of a team.

When I sit outside in my yard, on a warm summer's day, I close my eyes. I hear Vin Scully calling the Dodger game. His voice speaks of Kofax, Driesdale, Mays, Garvey, Lopes and Cey.  The sun warms my body, and the memories warm my heart. I see Dad in his lounger, shirt off, beer in hand.  I remember evenings at the kitchen table. Me, in my nightgown  embroidered with "Daddy's girl". Sitting on his lap, enjoying a sip of  his beer. Singing the  Dodger's pre-game theme song; "It's a beautiful day for a ballgame...". Life was perfect at that moment.

I played softball from age 8, through High school. I guess I was a decent player, always made the all-star team, and was lucky enough to be on teams that consistently finished first. I made great friends through softball, and in the other sports most of us played in High school. We kicked ass, virtually every one's.  Our biggest accomplishment was not the League and state championships we won, but the intense bond we still have, 35 years later. For that, I am truly blessed. For that, I thank my Dad. For his love of sports, and my love of him, which influenced  my desire to play ball. To be part of something bigger than myself... a team

Somehow, everything that I am is connected to Baseball. I adored my father. He loved baseball,   I loved baseball. He played baseball, so I played softball (although I would have preferred other). Because I played softball,  I played other sports. I played sports and I made great  friends. With that, I learned how to be a good  friend. But more than anything, I learned what it means to be a "team player". I learned how far I could push myself, having the support of my friends. How much we could accomplish, working together. The sky's the limit. This attitude has carried me well beyond the boundaries of sport. Nothing in life is easy. Challenge should be embraced, and taken head on. Learn every day, improve every day, set goals, and keep your eye on the prize.

I love you, Dad. Not a day passes without you coming to mind. You are my hero. Thank you for everything you've done, and your influence continues to do for me.

6 comments:

  1. You could not have said this better. Funny how similar our memories of him are. But then again I think that is why you and I have always had such a special bond. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a beautiful piece. You are really hitting your stride, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Carol. That means so much, because I see how well you express yourself. You have a gift!

      Delete
  3. I loved my dad, loved sports in another way...I was afraid of the ball hitting me in the face. We can't all be good at sports...and I wasn't...lol. But I still hold the same memories of listening to Vin's play by play under the "pretty light's" and all of us full from that nights barbeque dinner. I remember the stories too good to be true...but you never knew if they were are not...they usually were. All of us watching Bonanza in the Rumpus Room on Sunday Night waiting for our Sunday night dessert that Mom cooked up or dished out. Kathy you weave memories for all of us that shared time with "Daddy". He made things special for us...and I will always remember my name ending in an "a" but pronounced with and "er" on the end by him. Our laughter and our imaginations were made from his magic. Wait till your father gets home...lol..we did cause we loved it when he walked in the door to add a little more excitement to our day. We miss you Dad...all of us. I was never really into playing sports but you were excited about anything we tried to do. I was one of the girly girls with Phyllis dancing in our Petticoats to Polka Parade for him. He always found "that something" in us and off we went with him on our adventure. Again, Kathy, thanks for the memories....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great stuff. You brought up a lot of wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete